"And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us"
Last spring I started running. And by started, I mean I was running for 1 minute and then walking for 5. Over time I gradually increased my running time and decreased my walking time. Last year running was all new to me. I wanted to get in shape and it seemed like a pretty reasonable way to get some exercise. I mean the only start up expense was a good pair of shoes, right? Fortunately my friend Alison started with me. And fortunately for both of us, our friend Trish coached us.
Last fall, Alison, Laura and I ran a 5 km race. I'm glad we did it, but for me it was challenging. It took everything in me to finish that race!
Yesterday Alison and I ran our second 5 km race. This race was a totally different story. It felt like a do-over for me - a second chance and I am a big fan of second chances. My time was better last year, but this year I felt strong and consistent. By the end of the race yesterday, I didn't want to stop and I felt like I could have kept running. Such a great feeling.
Lately, I have been coming up with all kinds of goals for the next 5 years. Among them is running a marathon. This year a 5 km. Next year a 10 km. And so on. Baby steps.
Running has become a very spiritual journey for me. I listen to all kinds of music on my ipod, but my favourite songs for running are the ones that inspire me.
It doesn't really surprise me that there are all kinds of verses in the New Testament about the life of faith being compared to a race. I was thinking about those verses on race day too. Cool verses like Hebrews 12:1-2, 1 Corinthians 9:24-26 and 2 Timothy 4:7.
My last couple of weeks have been tough. Like, lots of tears kind of tough. Not the kind of stuff that I am ready to blog about yet, but maybe one day. Anyways, here's the really cool thing. Being a part of the race yesterday brought me up and out of myself and my own little pity party. It solidified in me the truth that I am not a quitter and that I am not giving up on things when they are hard, tough or challenging. The race yesterday also caused me to look beyond my own set of challenges and be a part of something that is bigger and greater. It gave me the perspective I desperately needed and caused me to consider what it means to be a part of the solution to things like poverty. I felt really proud to be a part of that race. Check out the link to the Road 2 Hope:
www.hamiltonmarathon.ca
Lastly, here are some photos from yesterday:
| Alison and I before the race |
| our girls wishing they were in the race |
| about half way through |
| we did it!!! |