Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"Hammy"



So, my 10 year old daughter just bought her first pet.  It was her 10th birthday and all she wanted to do was buy a hamster.  Using the birthday money she received from her Nana, she bought her hamster and all of the hampster necessities (which ironically btw cost more than triple what the hamster cost!).  She named this little creature, "Pebbles Chrysanthemum".  However for some reason, I can't stop calling the little girl critter, "Hammy".  So as far as I am concerned, "Hammy" it is.  What is it about me, I can't seem to call anyone by their actual name?  I insist on making up names for people - my siblings, my kids, my neices and so on.

Anyways, this was a huge deal for Eva.  We don't have any pets and she has been longing for a pet pretty much since she could talk.

In the summer, she "hamster-sat" her friend Kira's hamster for 2 weeks.  Talking about it recently, she told me, "Mom, those 2 weeks were the best 2 weeks of my life."  She was dead serious.

On Eva's birthday last week, here is a conversation that we had first thing in the morning.   I couldn't resist sharing it.  Sometimes I wish I could get on video some of the things that come out of this girls's mouth.  Priceless.  It went like this:


Me :  how's hammy this morning?

Birthday Girl:  dead as a doorknob.

Me:  pardon?

BG:  dead as a doorknob.

Me:  pardon?

BG:  Mom, it's just an expression.  Means she is fast asleep.

Me:  makes sense.  She had a big ordeal last night.  I'm sure moving her from the pet store to our house was pretty tramatic and even stressful for her.

BG:  Mom.  Are you kidding?  Yesterday was the greatest day of Pebbles life.  The day every hamster dreams of.

Me:  Speechless.