Like every other Mom on facebook, this morning I proudly posted photos of my girls heading off to their first day of school. This year feels more monumental than most because all three girls are going to new schools and my oldest is going to high school (yikes!). It's been the strangest week leading up to today. Preparing your kids for change is tricky and exhausting and has required a lot more patience and understanding that I had anticipated. But, hooray - we made it! The best part is that they all had a great day! Phew. Now I can relax. Seriously - what is with the fact that I had butterflies in my stomach all day long! Being a parent is intense.
As the school bus was pulling up to pick up Eva and Beth, I had the sweetest moment. Out of all three, Beth was embracing the change of a new school and the back to school transition with the least amount of struggle. However, as the bus pulled up, she had a moment where she looked back and ran to me with the tightest squeeze of a hug. With that, she turned, hopped on the bus and left me standing there with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.
It took me right back to the first time I dropped her off at pre-school when she was two and a half. As the youngest, Beth has always been super independent, very social and rarely apprehensive. On that winter morning that I dropped her off at her pre-school, she took off her coat and backpack, hung them up, put her indoor shoes on and marched over to circle time. Just steps away from the circle, she looked back to see if I was still there and with total abandon she ran to me with the biggest and tightest hug and then straight back to circle. She melted my heart then and she melted my heart today.
| Grade One. |
![]() |
| Grade Nine. |
![]() |
| Grade Seven and One. |
Today I am so thankful for teachers. I am at a loss for words. They are seriously my heroes.

