Thursday, February 13, 2014

February can be a hard month. Take two.



Last year I wrote this post.

Once again it's February and I'm feeling all of the same things.

It's been an especially LONG and COLD winter. 

In seasons like this, it requires extra intentionality and discipline to practice gratitude and to choose thankfulness.

Within me the anticipation and longing for spring is rapidly increasing with each cold February day.

The kids at the school where I work and the kids in my own house are going a but squirrely. It's too cold to play outside and they're going a bit crazy inside. Maybe I am too...

I'm grateful to live in a part of the world where we have four seasons. Granted, winter would be my least favourite of the seasons - but what I do love about winter in that it paves the way for spring - makes me long for, crave and dream about it. A cold winter like this makes me appreciate the most subtle signs of spring in a way that only a long and cold winter can.

Winter also has a way of slowing me down. Bringing things to a halt. School closures. Cancelled coffee dates. Staying home. Drinking coffee, tea, hot chocolate and craving all sorts of comfort foods.

Don't get me wrong - there is something beautiful, fresh and even magical about fresh now falling. 

But these days I'm dreaming about open windows and fresh air. About birds singing and the warmth of the sun on my exposed face.

I know that just when I've given up hope and spring seems impossible, it appears. The night is always darkest right before the morning sun appears, right? And so it is with spring. Just when we think it will never come, it appears in all of its glory and splendour. I can't help but think that this image would be lost on me if I didn't live in a part of the world with four distinct climates. Perhaps that is another reason spring is my favourite season. It represents hope and new life.

So, for now I'll drink hot tea and bask in the warmth of the mid-to-late afternoon sun shining on my worn chair at the front window - all the while wearing layer upon layer of comfy clothes.

Before I know it, I'll be picking up my CSA, running 5 km outside (hopefully), windows will be open, flip flops will be on and cold February days will be a distant memory.  At least that's what I'm telling myself today :)


p.s.  While I was making breakfast this morning, I heard the chatter of birds outside my kitchen window.  And this week it's suddenly noticeable that the days are getting longer.  Makes me so happy!

p.s.s. These days I'm thinking lots about the idea of coldness and warmth and how you and I are drawn to warmth - to hot chocolate and fire places, to seat warmers and cozy sweaters. I find myself thinking that the same is true when it comes to personalities. I'm drawn to warmth - you know, people who are humble, merciful, inclusive and inviting. People who are warm.  All this talk about cold and about warmth is causing me to ask hard questions and think about what it means to be a person of warmth. I want to be known as a person of warmth. I love the sound of that word, everything about it.