Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring is in the Air



It's Monday morning after the March Break.  All three girls are off to school.  Grace and Eva are off to 'real school' and Beth is off to 'nursery school'.  The house is q-u-i-e-t.  And it's a beautiful thing.  I just realized that yesterday was the first day of spring.  You have no idea how happy that makes me.  Spring is my favourite season.  It's my favourite for so many reasons.

Steve and I started dating in the springtime.  We planned a wedding and were married in the spring.  All of my pregnancies included the springtime.  My favourite flowers are tulips.  As an aside, tulips always remind me of the spring that I spent in Schladming, Austria when I was 21.  That's where I first discovered my love for tulips.  More than tulips, it was a season that marked me and will stay with me forever.  Tulips remind me of that.

I love the anticipation of spring too.  The hope and the promise that it brings. The arrival of new life.  Life after death.  Spring after a long, harsh and cold winter.  As much a I would love to live in a climate where it is warm all year round, there is something about coming through winter that allows one to anticipate, appreciate and yearn for spring.  When everything is dull and grey and lifeless, the thought of spring brings promise and hope.

Here are a few more reasons I love spring:

 - Tulips and fresh flowers in general.
 - Flipflops and sandals
 - My anniversary
 - Running - I am so ready to get out in the fresh air and beat this body into shape!
 - Local fruit.  Need I say more?  In our family, berry picking is a recreational activity:)

Can I also just say that the spring fashion out this year is amazing?  I am itching to do some shopping.  The styles and the colours out this year are amazing.  Is anyone else with me on this one?