Thursday, October 25, 2012

Jumping in Puddles



I went for a hike last week with Beth and was struck by the fact that my girl couldn't avoid a puddle for the life of her.  It was as if those pink boots of hers were drawn like a magnet to every puddle in her path.  Even the small ones.

I loved watching her.  I was in awe.

It made me long for a childlike spirit of adventure.  I wanted to recapture the five year old in me.

Ever felt that way?

I couldn't help but think that as I get older, I go out of my way to avoid puddles.  I go out of my way to avoid mess.  In the process, I miss out on adventure.  I miss out on the freedom of living in the moment.  The joy of fully embracing life.

It's no secret that these days that I am missing my girl tons.  She's at school full days now.  I never expected to feel like this.  No one is more surpirsed than I am.  The truth is I'm kind of lost without her around.

There's a part of me that doesn't want Beth to grow up.  I guess maybe I just don't want her to stop jumping in puddles.

I hope along that way that I can learn from her.  Learn more of what it means to fully embrace life and find joy in the simplist of pleasures.