Monday, December 17, 2012

Favourite Christmas Music

One of my favourite things about Christmas is the music.

We put up decorations, a tree and outside lights.  We send cards and decorate gingerbread houses.  We love Christmas around here.  But it's Christmas music that really love.   Pretty much as soon as Hallowe'en is over, I gradually incorporate Christmas music in our day to day lives.  I sneak it in before my family can even realize what I am doing :)

For me, it creates so much anticipation as I approach Christmas.

I also smile and remind myself that I grew up in a family where music was a huge part of our lives.  My Dad is a lover of music (that's putting it mildly) and there was rarely a day growing up that we didn't have some kind of music playing in the house...on a record player in my early years, a cassette in my early teen years and then CD's took over somewhere around the middle of my high school years.  Everything from The Beatles to Duane Eddy to Van Morrison to Johnny Cash and beyond...

Christmas was no exception.  Music played a big role.  When I think of Christmas growing up, I think of music, the smokey smell and crackling sound of a fireplace and shortbread.

Some of my all time favourite Christmas songs/albums are:

1.  Amy Grant.  I love Amy Grant Christmas albums, the first one (A Christmas Album) in particular.  I mean, who doesn't love "Tender Tennessee Christmas"?  This album makes me think of high school.  Every year I pull out that album and feel 17 again:)


amy grant christmas attitude


2.  Happy Christmas (War is Over) - the Alarm ( 1991 Cover).  This song takes me back to Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1991.  I was at school in the U.K. for eight months and spent three of my most-favourite-weeks-ever with my relatives in Belfast.  This song was playing everywhere at that time.  In restaurants.  Outside as you shopped in town.  In Castle Court (or as we would say, the mall).  Every time I hear this song, I smile and time stands still for a moment.

3.  I watched  White Christmas for the first time when I was in university.  I fell in love.  Pretty much ever since, it has become a tradition to watch it every year.  My girls even love it.  Bing's version of the song is obviously one of my favourites.




4.  O Holy Night is my hands-down, all time favourite Christmas Hymn.  

5.  My church together with another local church put together this amazingly creative and worshipful CD.  So proud of them.  Just beautiful.  You can download it for free here.


The Wonders Of Your Love cover art


6.  I know I'm about a decade behind, but I have just started listening to Sarah McLachlan's, "Wintersong" album  and I love it.  It's quickly becoming a favourite.









I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that came to my mind first.
How about you?  I'd love to hear.  
What is one of your favourite Christmas songs/albums?