Admittedly, Steve and I are not the best gardeners and so last summer we (actually it was Steve and not at all me) radially simplified our backyard and made our vegetable and flower gardens smaller. It was so liberating. Such freedom for us! The only thing we kept in our vegetable garden was rhubarb and raspberries - so now, it's essentially a fruit garden :)
Growing up, rhubarb was a staple in our home during the spring and summer months. Our Mom managed to find a way to put rhubarb in every dessert, muffin and cake possible. No joke. I kept the rhubarb in my garden just as much for my parents as I did for me, as they "steal" some every time they come visit us in rhubarb season.
Along with a really simple rhubarb tart recipe, the other recipe I make with this tangy fruit is Rhubarb Crisp. I cant even remember where I got the recipe, so have no way of giving credit where credit is due. All I know is that I picked it up in a brochure from a fruit farm over a decade ago. Technically it is called Blueberry Crisp, but you can put any fruit in it and it turns out amazing. It's such an easy recipe and tastes heavenly. 100% comfort food.
This morning I picked some rhubarb, washed it, chopped it up and Beth and I made this:
Rhubarb Crisp
Filling:
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
4 cups of fresh fruit
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Topping:
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (I use gf all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup of uncooked oats
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
In a 9" baking pan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in fruit until coated. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Increase baking time to 45 minutes for frozen fruit.
Serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream and it's pure heaven.
Growing up, rhubarb was a staple in our home during the spring and summer months. Our Mom managed to find a way to put rhubarb in every dessert, muffin and cake possible. No joke. I kept the rhubarb in my garden just as much for my parents as I did for me, as they "steal" some every time they come visit us in rhubarb season.
Along with a really simple rhubarb tart recipe, the other recipe I make with this tangy fruit is Rhubarb Crisp. I cant even remember where I got the recipe, so have no way of giving credit where credit is due. All I know is that I picked it up in a brochure from a fruit farm over a decade ago. Technically it is called Blueberry Crisp, but you can put any fruit in it and it turns out amazing. It's such an easy recipe and tastes heavenly. 100% comfort food.
This morning I picked some rhubarb, washed it, chopped it up and Beth and I made this:
Rhubarb Crisp
Filling:
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
4 cups of fresh fruit
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Topping:
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (I use gf all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup of uncooked oats
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
In a 9" baking pan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in fruit until coated. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Increase baking time to 45 minutes for frozen fruit.
Serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream and it's pure heaven.