Monday, August 5, 2013

Moms set the tone.


Know what I'm learning this summer in a fresh way?

I'm learning afresh that Moms set the tone for the whole family.

Summer for me is fantastic and intense at the same time.  It reminds me, in a way, of the pre-school years when I was with my girls 24/7.  It's easy, in seasons like this, to care for everyone else and forget about caring for myself and my needs.

I'm reminded that if I'm healthy (spiritually, emotionally, physically and mentally), everything runs smoother and the family as a whole is healthier.  As soon as my self care declines and I am a mess, my whole family falls apart, or so it seems.

Practically it means that I need to make sure my "cup is full" - which of course looks and feels different for all of us.  For me it means carving out time.  Time for prayer.  Time for exercise.  Time with friends.  Time to read.  Time for rest and solitude.  When my cup is full, I am more centered, balanced, positive, encouraging, able to respond (rather than react) and assume the best of others in an overall kind of way.  I'm learning that this kind of self care goes a long, long way.   When I care for myself, I do my family a huge favour.  This is never more true than when it's summer holidays.

My learning this past month (and particularly this past week) is that I have a far more influential role in my family than I often realize.

Any other Moms find this to be true?  How do you keep your cup full while you are constantly giving to your kids?