Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking back on 2013...

This time of year, this week between Christmas and New Years is a favourite for me.  I love the opportunity to be reflective.  To ponder.

I look back on the year 2013 with gratitude.   With a full heart.  Through all the ups and downs, God's grace and goodness abound.

Highlights include:
Our sponsor child (for over 12 years) from Bangladesh was accepted into university.
My nephew, Easton was born.
Family vacations - Disney in March and camping in August.
Rich friendships.
Church in our community.
Grace's baptism on Easter weekend.
Beth learned to ride a 2 wheeler (without training wheels) on the first weekend in May.
Steve's 40th birthday party in our backyard.
My Mom turned 65 and my sisters and I took her out for a day of celebrating.
Beth went to Pee-Wee Camp on the May Long Weekend and I cabin led.
Grace's grade 8 graduation.
2013 was the year of concerts for us - Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and Brad Paisley.  So fun.
All three of our girls are loving life in their new schools.
Friendships among cousins.
Health.
Next LEVEL Leadership Module 1 and 2.
New relationships with our migrant worker friends.
Global Leadership Summit
A part time job that I love.
Steve and I have both started running again - as iron sharpens iron, he is inspiring and pushing me.
Trip to Ireland - total dream come true.

Song that will always remind me of 2013 - I Will See You Again by Carrie Underwood.

Favourite movie from 2013 - Les Mis

Favourite Book of 2013 - Daring Greatly by Brene Brown

As I look back on 2013 the greatest lessons I learned were:

Don't suppress feelings.

Clarity matters.  

Embrace vulnerability.

Resist urge to fit a mold.  Let my true self and true voice rise up.

Let go of perfectionism and embrace spontaneity.  Practice gratitude.

Others have much to teach me.

Be merciful and gracious toward myself.  

This blog post.  


Well, that pretty much sums up 2013.  Bring on the New Year!