Thursday, August 9, 2012

Morning Prayer


Earlier this spring, my parents were helping a friend move as she was downsizing her home.  This friend of theirs is an individual who loves to learn and had a tremendous collection of books which reflected her curiosity for life.   I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to look through a number of the boxes of books, which included everything from cookbooks to gardening books to fiction to theology to spiritual direction to psychology and more!  

One day as I was going through the books, this little piece of paper with a typed litergical prayer fell from the pages.  As I picked it up, I was drawn to it.  Immedietly I was drawn to the simplicity, beauty and depth of this prayer.  This summer I have gotten into the habit of starting most days with this simple prayer.  It has been so life giving to me and often verbalizes what I cannot put into words.  



Come, Holy Spirit
Replace the tension within us with a holy relaxation.
Replace the turbulance within us with a sacred calm.
Replace the anxiety within us with a quiet confidence.
Replace the fear within us with a strong faith.
Replace the bitterness within us with the sweetness of grace.
Replace the darkness within us with a gentle light.
Replace the coldness within us with a loving warmth.
Replace the night within us with your light.
Replace the winter within us with your spring.
Straighten our crookedness.
Fill our emptiness.
Dull the edge of our pride.
Sharpen the edge of our humility.
Light the fires of our love.
Quench the flames of our lust.
Let us see ourselves as you see us
That we may see you as you have promised
And be fortunate according to your word.
Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.



This prayer has been a lifeline of sorts to me this summer.   A real unexpected gift.