Sunday, December 21, 2014

Inner Child in all of us.

“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.”
Mark Twain


This year, I was having a harder time getting into the Christmas spirit. On the other, my girls long for snow and found that first snowfall to be nothing short of magical. They are the ones that had to beg me to put up the tree. I waited until the last minute to order Christmas cards and if it wasn't for their prompting, I would have done little decorating.

I'm reminded that often kids look at Christmas and think about Christmas through different lenses than we adults do. Along the way I'm realizing that somehow I've lost my wonder. This Christmas I'm hoping to be rekindled in my child likeness.

This is a message frome Christmas 2013 that Beth wrote on our kitchen chalkboard.

I read somewhere recently about the idea that there is an inner child in all of us, buried beneath the practical and the responsible and the serious. Deep down there is a small child within us that we carry with us always, suppressed as he or she may be.

I've been thinking lately of the idea of looking at people through that lens. I know this is a bit out there, but stay with me for a second. Think about a time when you're dealing with a challenging person and remembering (even picturing) that they were once a little boy or girl with hopes and dreams and inhibitions and giggles and even a story, helps give compassion.  

Interestingly enough I remember my mom telling me one time that the average 4 year old laughs 300 times a day and the average 40 year old laughs 4 times a day.

This will likely be Beth's last Christmas believing in Santa. Already she knows the reality about the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy. It's just a matter of time now. Deep down I think she has doubts about Santa but the little girl in her doesn't want to face them. The funny thing is, Steve and I have never made a big deal about Santa. In fact, we totally downplay the Santa piece wanting to focus more on the spiritual significance of the holiday. The girls don't even get gifts from Santa, just their stockings. In spite of all of this, my seven year old loves the idea of magic and wonder and wants to hang on as long as possible to Santa.

It's brought me face to face with the reality that I've become practical. Maybe even a bit jaded.

I came across something recently online (I can't find it now to reference it, but I have a feeling it was by Anne Lamott, whom I adore) and it was along the idea that none of us were born fearful, perfectionist or controlling. Rather these were traits we developed along the course of our beautiful, imperfect and messy lives.

This Christmas I am wanting to let go a little bit of the practical and open myself up to the magical. The mystical. The wondrous. This Christmas I'm looking to reconnect with the inner child in me.

Maybe it's time for me to make snow angels, sing out loud and dance like nobody's watching.

Last Saturday as I spent the day with Beth at our local Santa Clause parade and then at a Wizard of Oz performance, I found myself viewing it all through her eyes and guess what - it was magical. It was nothing short of wonderful.

And last week when I was out in the fresh snowfall for a run, I stopped and made a snow angel because that's what kids would do and I don't want to lose or suppress the inner child in me, not at Christmas or anytime really.

Anyways ultimately isn't Christmas all about mystery? The mystery of the incarnate. The child in a manger. The star. The shepherds. The wise men. The mystery.

I have so many great children in my life and maybe part of loving the children around us is seeing the world through their eyes.

Want to join me?


Christmas 1974