Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas gratitude.

Here we are. It's December 24th. Christmas is most definitely upon us. 

It's the most wonderful time of the year and sometimes if we're honest, it's stressful and chaotic and emotional too - because life is beautiful and complex and messy all wrapped up with a bow. It's hard to tell where one begins and one ends. Right?

This morning, I took a moment to breathe a little deeper and jot down a few things I'm grateful for. Sometimes I need to just put pen to paper and remind myself of what's true. It does me a world of good.



Here's Eva reading on the front porch just an hour ago. In December. Wild. Hello 13 degrees.


Christmas baking from this past Monday. Hence the shortbread I was eating :)



When we took this family photo, our photographer suggested a spot up the hill from our home where the light was amazing at 6 pm on a Wednesday in October. She said, "let's go chase the light". That's just what we did and I love the photos because of the light streaming in.  Within moments of the photos being taken, darkness set in. It was a golden moment indeed.


Lately, that phrase, "let's go chase the light" has come back to me.

I thought of it again today as I read from Isaiah 9 (MSG):

The people who walked in darkness
    have seen a great light.
For those who lived in a land of deep shadows—
    light! sunbursts of light!

For a child has been born—for us!
    the gift of a son—for us!
He’ll take over
    the running of the world.
His names will be: Amazing Counselor,
    Strong God,
Eternal Father,
    Prince of Wholeness.
His ruling authority will grow,
    and there’ll be no limits to the wholeness he brings.

As I took a few moments of silence this morning, I said yes to the light. Yes to Jesus, the Christ Child and all that he wants to bring into my life. Yes to wholeness and peace. Yes to grace. My hands and heart are open.

But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.Luke 2:10-11 (NIV)

Out of the blue, I remembered this morning that my Dad's all time favourite Christmas Carol is "Once in Royal David's City". For some reason it touched me and made me feel all childlike and nostalgic. In the spirit of isn't that what Christmas is all about? I'll share it here:


Merry Christmas friends! May you swim in grace and rest in love. May you chase the light this holiday season xo