Monday, June 11, 2012

Kiva

Are you familiar with Kiva?

These days I am thinking more and more globally and aware of the responsibility that I have to live beyond myself and the opportunity I have to lift others out of unnecessary poverty.  Kiva is a really tangible way to do this and I value how empowering it is for the recepients.   I love this organization and am slightly addicted to giving loans:)




Here's how Kiva Works

The Story of a Kiva Loan

Follow the story of a Kiva loan through Pedro, a farmer who gets a loan through Kiva.org and transforms his business.


1.  Make a loan:  You make a loan on Kiva.  All Kiva loans are made possible by Field Partners, who vet, administer, and disburse each loan.

2.  Get updates:  Throughout the life of the loan, you will see progress updates from Kiva through your email, and if you come back to the site.

3.  Get paid back:  As the borrower repays the loan, the money becomes available in your account.  This is called your Kiva Credit.

4.  Repeat:  You can now use it to fund another loan, donate it to Kiva, or withdraw it to spend on something else.

*the above information is from Kiva's website (www.kiva.org)

Guess what?  New users can try Kiva out and give a $25 loan for FREE.  Check it out here.