At this very minute, Grace is with a friend and Steve took the other two girls out for a couple of hours to run some errands. I am alone in my house on Saturday afternoon and it just hit me that this is best Mother's Day gift ever (if you are a husband, take note).
I'm about to sing the hallelujah chorus and then have a nap (BECAUSE MY HOUSE IS SO QUIET ON A SATURDAY AND I'M ALL ALONE), but before I do that some thoughts came to mind.
If you have kids or know kids, then you appreciate that kids need both love and limits. Unconditional love and limits as to what they can and can't get away with. All throughout the ages and stages of parenting this has been true for us. It's always changing and it's always a delicate balance - a walking of a tightrope of sorts. Love and limits. Sometime more love is required and lavishly given and sometimes we're heavier on the limits. Two sides of the same coin of parenting. A delicate dance.
As of late I've been bone-weary tired and feeling burnt out. I've had a lot on my plate and I'm feeling it. It occurred to me this week that I need both love and limits as well. I need to love myself well and out of that love, set some limits. It's different for all of us, but loving myself and honouring my limitations means getting enough sleep, saying no when I can't do something well, asking for help (this is huge), taking time for myself, eating well, exercising and admitting that I'm tired and weary and need to refuel and up my self care.
If you're a mom, an aunt, a teacher, a mentor or a grandma then this is your weekend. If you're someone who spends your life pouring it out on behalf of kids then this weekend is for you. May you have permission to care well for yourself. May you be recharged and refuelled. May you drink your tea while it is hot and have a nap and read a few page of your favourite book. May you wear your favourite outfit and write out your best quote and light a candle. May you smell the cherry blossoms and notice a tulip or two and laugh out loud at a child or even at yourself. May you create space this weekend or this week to do something that refuels you. May you love yourself well this weekend.
May you put yourself to bed early, ask for the help you need and in this season may you give yourself the limits that you need in the name of love. You are worth it and so am I.
Loving yourself is not a selfish act. It's the opposite. It sets you up to love others and to receive love. Self care is a gift you give the world. - Parker Palmer
Happy Mothers Day!
P.s. As an aside, it serves my kids well when they see me caring for myself and honouring my limits :)
